Monday, April 16, 2007

My Gay Car Magnet: Rainbows Get Attention

I have a rainbow magnet on my car, and it certainly serves its purpose. Once in a while, a car on the highway will beep as it speeds by, and on it's bumper I'll see an HRC sticker...and no, I'm not a slow driver, as is evident by the speeding ticket for which I'm waiting a court date. Unfortunately, these instances are too far and way too few in between. Usually, out of the corner of my eye, I'll catch someone gawking, "Hey, look, Ralph, there's one of them there homosexuals!"

I'm not sure, however, if part of the stares are because they're surprised a gay man is driving around in a suburban-esque-soccer-mom-like minivan. Remember, my partner and I often have our four kids around, and a minivan with a DVD player became essential once the kids got so big we couldn't squeeze everyone in to a regular car.

My rainbow bumper sticker serves its purpose in other ways, though negative. My tire was slashed a couple of months ago in the Adirondacks, of all places. Luckily, we were not on a highway when it finally went, because we had two little ones with us. Attention homophobic idiots (okay, oxymoronic, I know), gay people can have kids in the car with them, too! Two hundred dollars later, I'm wondering if it's worth having that rainbow on the back of the car. It's still there, so I guess I must think it is. I'm out of the closet, and not going back in!

Do you have anything on your car that shouts you're gay, or at least suggests it? If you don't want to shout you're gay, straight people don't know what the HRC sticker means, but by putting one on your vehicle, at least the rest of us will know you're in a "Family Car."

No comments: