Thursday, April 12, 2007

Give Me That Old Gay Religion

Picture it, last year's New York City Pride, where of course the media always show the drag queens, mostly naked gays, lesbian breasts, and anything ris-gay. However, what they were missing, and what I'm noticing as I stand there gleefully enjoying the day, is that with each NYC Pride, there is this continued growth in the number of religious and church/synagogue-affiliated floats and marchers. As most of this blog is about churches, if you are Jewish you have permission to skip most of this blog to the last paragraph. Though I hope you read on.

The picture to the right is from Pride 2005, when Episcopal Bishop Gene Robinson, the first openly gay, happily partnered, bishop in the United States, led a Pride Service at Church of the Holy Apostles in New York City. My partner was there, and is even in this photo. See him? Hi, Michael!

During the march, many of these religious floats and marchers handed out buttons and pins to the people watching the parade, and I received from one group a button that had this really nice biblical quote (something Matthew, I believe), that went along the lines that ALL are God's children and accepted, including God's gay children. I read it and smiled, and slid it into my pocket--I didn't want to miss the HX float that was coming with its barely-clad Adonises, the make-shift flatbed they were on literally bouncing up and down due to their fierce dancing. Hot! Simply hot! And one of them was in the process of taking off his...whoops, I do digress.

After the march ended and everyone was heading to their favorite clubs, my friends and I decided to head over to Gym Bar. It was crowded, and we had to wait outside in a short line that passed right next to its outdoor smoking area; the smokers corralled by a waist high metal bar, but barely an arm's distance from us as we stood on the busy 8th Avenue sidewalk. On the other side, and as we waited, I began following this conversation of a small group of friends as they talked about religion and their beliefs. Well, this younger guy was cruelly cynical, and was telling his friends how he hates organized religion, that all churches hate fags, that he would just as soon go to hell than a church, and that he doesn't give a shit about God anymore. I noticed the line was now moving up and we were all going in, and as we were just about to move, my hand felt something in my jean's pocket, it was the button. I tapped the young guy on the shoulder, and handed it to him, saying "don't worry, it's getting better." As I started walking away, I heard the unmistakable sound of a tin button hitting the beer stained, cigarette ridden cement at his feet. For only a second was I angry (rude, un-Godly little twink, I thought to myself), but almost instantly that feeling turned to one of pity towards this guy, and I wondered what he must have endured to be so fully despising of religion, church, and God.

The Episcopal church that we attend is really gay friendly (actually, with so many gays in the congregation, I like to say it's straight-friendly). Every guy in the choir just happens to be gay...I know, your jaws are all dropping at that one. But it's really cool, and our church has a liturgy that you won't find at most others. Although keeping with traditional liturgy, we use music and readings that are all-inclusive, because that's the way we think it should be done. Hell, we even have a few Jewish people attending service, simply because they feel so welcome. Of course, when your priest is gay, and he and his partner are good friends, church-going for a gay person can be fun, and by no means is our priest the only gay priest out there. Our priest once asked my how many straight Episcopal priests does it take to change a light bulb? The answer: both of them. But, it's more than just a gay thing, our church welcomes everyone, and I'd say a good portion are either gay, or former Catholics who got tired of being told what to think, or people who have grown too weary of not being allowed to believe, without fear of being excommunicated, what they personally believe. Our church is a place where we find our answers individually, yet at the same time side-by-side, and are not force-fed our answers through a twenty minute sermon and a dip'n sip.

For those who, like the fellow I mentioned above, don't go to church because you've been burnt by your denomination, priest, or religion, I can assure you it is getting better, and there are many gay-friendly churches of many denominations who would welcome you. Being out, proud, and gay, and belonging to a church community can work, and does for many. If you'd like to see if there's a gay-friendly church in your neck of the woods, or check out why we really haven't been abandoned, then check out GayChurch.org! It's a wonderful resource.

For my Jewish friends, wait until a later blog, and I'll tell you about the gay Seder I attend each year, the Epiphany I experienced at at large GLBT Yom Kippur service a few years ago, and my Jewish friends who are gay. Fortunately, Reformed Judaism has come a long way, and the fact that it is guided by the very basic belief that all human beings are created b'tselem Elohim, is, indeed, a blessing.

No comments: