Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Gays, Gyms, and Idaho Guys

One of my favorite movies is Broken Hearts Club, about a group of gay friends and how their lives and friendships are affected by their small gay world. One scene finds them at the gym, where one friend is being cruised by this perfect specimen of a guy who looks like he's right off the farm. Well, gay-gossips that they are, his friends start whispering that he's being picked up by "Idaho guy." The main character, Dennis, who is not in on the situation, asks why they call him Idaho guy, and they explain to him that they don't really know, other than he looks like he's from Idaho.

I just got back from a workout during my lunch break, where I saw all the hotties for whom my partner and I (we go to the same gym) have given descriptive names. There's Tom of Finland guy, who's really butch and built like a brick house, there's Bulldog Pup, this young guy whose handsome young looks, along with a solid, killer body, struts around like a hot/cute little bulldog puppy. Trust me, there are many other such names we have for guys at our gym, and I know my gay friends use this descriptive naming process at theirs, too.

I wonder if straight guys do this, like, do they say, "Hey, I saw Britney Spears Girl at the gym today," or, "Boobs Galore was on the treadmill, and her thangs were just shak'n all over the place!" I tend to doubt it; they just don't have that gay creativity we so possess.

Although I believe the gay demographics at our gym to be on the low side, I do wonder what descriptive names our resident gays have given me, and I'm given into a wave of self-deprecating, self-conscious worry. However, that soon passes, and I'm back to my narcissistic little self. Sheeew, glad that's passed.