Friday, April 27, 2007

A Cop and His Horse

There's an organization in New York City that plans and organizes special events and outings that gay guys can get out and have fun with other gay guys. Although I am not a member, my friend Jeff is, and using his membership, invited us to a private cocktail mixer at some chic bistro in the East Village being organized by this group. Planning to meet Jeff at the event, my partner and I took the subway to a stop I was unfamiliar with, and although we had directions, found ourselves rather lost (a rare event for me) upon exiting the subway. It was night, so I couldn't even use the sun to judge East to West. However, one of the first things I spotted when we came up from the subway was a cop on a horse. You know, uniform, boots up to the knees, large nightstick, and to top things off, the guy was a hottie (no, it wasn't JUST the uniform!), the epitome of majestic masculinity.

So, I walked up to him and asked if he can direct us to the street we know this place is located, but instead of answering by pointing and giving me directions, he asked exactly what we were looking for, which I thought somewhat odd. So, I tell him the name of the bistro, and then the cop says, "Oh, you guys are going to the cocktail mixer! I was supposed to go, too, but as you can see, I had to work tonight." Apparently, we were dealing with family. Needless to say, we received perfect directions to get there.

That's why this is My Small Gay World, yours too, of course. You see, although six degrees of separation exists in the larger context of life, for us and our tight-knit community, it's more like three degrees of separation.

Photo courtesy of Towleroad (Nisos, by the way, is a popular gay hangout in Chelsea)

No comments: