Monday, June 11, 2007

Gay Politicians

Pride continues here at My Small Gay World during June, and today we're talking gay politics. This past weekend I was at a Pride event where I had the pleasure of running into a key staffer at the Log Cabin Republicans, himself a politician, and we discussed a number of things that I'll probably go into in another post, but for this more liberal leaning blogger, it was a very agreeable discussion (we also learned we live in the same village...and I thought I knew all the gays in town!). However, it got me thinking about gay politicians, and how bold one must be to be an openly gay politician in the world today.

For instance, the mayors of both Berlin and Paris are gay, and the next in line for the mayoral position in New York is lesbian Christine Quinn. But, that's only three, there are many out, gay politicians around the world, like Spain's Pedro Zerolo, or maybe Volker Beck of Germany, or even Israel's Uzi Even. The list is very impressive, and we should be proud that in many countries we are well represented by our gay brethren in congresses, parliaments, and caucuses around this Small Gay World.

For a list of openly gay politicians and their backgrounds and rise to power, Click Here!

No comments: